Friday, October 10, 2008

Strasburg Apple Season

Well, this is everyday life in small-town America. While my husband goes off to work, I stay home and cook and clean....OK, it might not be like this forever, but until I can find my own job out here, this is all I have to write about!

So for all of you Californians, Fall is that time of year when the air is scented with the slight smoke of burning leaves and apples falling off their branches. The trees turn gold and red and orange and yellow and the sun is starting to set earlier and earlier. Fall also means Harvest Time, and Harvest means that apples, pumpkins, gourds and squash are all being sold straight off the farm.

I wanted to welcome Ron home with the smell of something that smacks of Fall, so I made an apple crisp from scratch.


Fresh apples from the farm.






Not having a microwave means lots of fresh food!






All of that becomes this!


Add some fresh Vanilla Bean Ice cream from Turkey Hill and you have yourself a happy husband!


I generally cook from whatever I have lying around the house and I don't often use recipes, but I put this gem together for anyone who misses us so much that they want to share in our Autumn dessert!

3lbs tart apples - peeled, cored and cut up into 1" chunks
1/2 c flour
1/2 c multi-grain cereal (or coarse oatmeal)
3/4 c packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 c cold butter cut into small pieces

spread apple chunks in a 8 x 8 pan (ungreased)
mix the dry of the ingredients together and then cut in butter. Blend with a pastry blender or use 2 knives to cut the butter into the mixture. Mix until the consistency is very crumbly. Spoon the mix over the top of the apples.

Bake at 375 for 50-55 minutes or until the top and sides are brown and crispy.

4 comments:

Morrissette said...

thank you for the recipe I am going to have to try it now

Karyn said...

Good grief you've gone Martha on us!! :) Lukcy Ron!

Jess said...

At the risk of sounding weird or psycho... because we've never met officially... If you get bored during the day, I'd love to show you around this town and the surrounding areas... I grew up here, so I'd like to think I'm an expert :) I work from home, kind of (I'm a photographer) and have a two year old at home with me during the day as well as a 6 year old in first grade and one on the way... (due in December). And I only live about a block and a half from you. Now, I really do sound a bit psycho (or maybe just needy) :) I'm not though, really!
Jessica

Janey said...

As soon as we go to the orchard, I'm trying this!