Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Edge of Summer

This Spring has been a dramatically different experience from Spring last year. The sun has been out a lot more and the rain is less frequent which keeps us active outdoors and getting our fill of Vitamin D which in turn helps us to keep happy.

Katella is getting big! She's a 45lb fuzzy ball of trouble. She loves to bark and "talk" and drives us crazy with all the noise she makes. She is still a very sweet puppy and LOVES her owners. I take her for walks in the park when the weather is good which is almost daily. 

Ron thinks I'm a mean dog owner because I find such amusement in tormenting the dog. I received an amazing birthday present of a Piastra and a cute sign and cookbooks from Sur la Table from my Auntie Joyce. The ribbon and sticker made a great birthday celebration outfit for the puppy who I dubbed "Sur La Chien" for the day. I have dorky humor, I know.


On May 15th, the 57th Annual World's largest Chicken BBQ was held in Long's Park. Ron and I along with my friend Kristen Cameron (not Kristen Dice - I apparently can only be friends with people named Kristen) cruised on down there for dinner. Chicken BBQs are very common on Saturdays in Lancaster. You can find one on just about any main road each weekend.
Kristen & Kelly with the Turkey Hill cow

That's where they cook all that chicken!



Last weekend we drove down to Ocean City MD for crabs and a walk on the boardwalk. This is the 1st time that Ron and I had traditional crabs. SO good! I think I could do this once a week for the rest of my life.

A walk on the boardwalk is always fun. We enjoy just strolling along and enjoying the briny air. We stopped for Thrasher's french fries - the original boardwalk french fries. A little salt and a lot of malt vinegar - YUM!

One of the nice things about Spring is all the beautiful scenery in this area. We couldn't resist snapping a few shots in this field near Hershey. 


In other news, you may have heard that we have started our own small food company: Rogue Tomatoes.
 If you clicked on that link you know that the site is not up yet but it will be soon. For now, you can check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

We started out making salsa and have expanded to hummus, queso dip, BBQ sauce, and salad dressings. The salsa is by far the most popular product and we can barely keep up with the demand for it. Starting in June we will be selling at the Strasburg Farmer's Market. If you're a PA local, come on and visit! 
In the near future we will be developing a preservative-free canning process and will be able to send the salsa and sauces across the country. So keep an eye on our webpage for updates and an order form. 

Until then, here is our logo (still a work in progress) 


Happy Spring everyone! See you in Summer!

No comments: