Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Spain: Barcelona (Part II)

Last time we were in Barcelona we went to so many tourist spots that we were exhausted so we decided to pick just one place we wanted to see and stick with that. As promised, we chose La Segrada Familia and we were so glad we took the time to go see it. 

This is a sculpture right at the foot of downtown Barcelona. The famous Columbus Statue is behind it to the right. 


After a few short metro rides, we arrived right outside La Segrada (as most people call it to shorten the name). You can see that it is still under construction. This is because the architect, Antoni Gaudi designed it to be a project that would take a very long time to complete. The construction commenced in 1882 and will not be complete until 2028. 


Up close, the detail of the building is both stunning and beautifully Gothic. I was surprised at how some of the art seemed to be so modern despite it being designed 130 years ago.


Two large metal doors were covered in a facade of biblical words. I liked this picture so much that it is now our computer background. Again, the detail is just amazing!

The outside was incredible but the inside was absolutely spectacular! The natural lighting, the colors, the windows, the sheer height of the building, the acoustics... the everything! It was all an amazing sight experience. We debated whether it was worth the extra cost to actually go inside the cathedral, but I can say with certainty that it is worth it.


I love this picture of Ron inside the cathedral. 


What is a cathedral without a pipe organ? I love how the light from the stained glass reflects in the surface of the pipes.



We also took an elevator to the top of one of the towers. The view of the city is very nice, but I have to admit that I'm a little unimpressed with city views. Maybe its just because I'm jaded after having seen so many views of so many cities, but I feel like they all look the same. There are a few exceptions. new York City for example. Now there's an iconic skyline...but I digress. Anyhow, we walked around the top of the building for a while (feeling a little underwhelmed) and then made our way down this super skinny, very steep spiral staircase. It was a little bit terrifying. I was certain I was going to fall at any moment causing a domino affect and killing every tourist in front of me. I was wrong. We made it down alive.


After getting our fill of the beautiful La Segrada, we took the metro back and enjoyed some tapas on the Lido deck. 

No comments: