Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Contract #4



I can’t believe this is our fourth contract on ships and that we’ve been doing this for over two years now. I still feel like we just left Pennsylvania only a few months ago. What a crazy life we lead! This contract is onboard the Eurodam. We’re back where we started. Though the ship was in dry dock since we were last here, very little has changed. Only the people are different and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. There’s a great group of people on this ship right now and we’re both happy to be living and working alongside them. I have to admit that I wasn’t really looking forward to this contract. I’m a little burned out on all the travel and living in a floating Petri dish. There are a lot of great things about this lifestyle though and I boarded the plane for a 14-hour travel day from L.A. to Amsterdam both begrudgingly and hopefully. Once on the ship, unpacked and settled, I sat down on our bed, look around and had this thought: “It’s good to be home.” I immediately shook that thought out of my head and silently reprimanded myself for thinking of the ship as home. But as much as I fight it, this tiny cabin on this floating madhouse is as much home as anywhere now. Ship life has a consistency to it. Our cabin on every ship is pretty much the same. The halls all look the same. The decks all look the same. The layout of each ship is remarkable similar. A-deck on every ship has a smell that is neither good nor bad but most definitely distinctive. There is a rhythm to life here. A schedule. A pace. The adventure of each day gives way to the lull of familiarity between ports. There’s stability to all of this instability, and I hate to admit it, but it’s nice. 

No comments: