Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Denmark: Copenhagen


I feel a little silly titling some of these ports like that; Country: City, because many of the cities we visit are the only places we see in the country. Like Copenhagen. It’s not like we’re going anywhere else in Denmark. There’s not really even anywhere else in Denmark to go. But I started a trend with the titles for our European ports and I’m sticking with it. So, here we go. Copenhagen, Denmark. 

Denmark is incredibly charming. It is the stuff of Fairytales (and it should be seeing as it is the land of Hans Christian Anderson) mixed seamlessly with the modern world. There’s not a ton to do but the whole place is so picturesque that it doesn’t really matter. We wanted to go to Tivoli Gardens which is the biggest attraction in Denmark and is in the book 1000 Places to See Before You Die, but jet-lag combined with Ron’s work schedule didn’t allow a long enough visit to merit paying the entrance fee. I think this will be one of our biggest disappointments this contract since Tivoli Gardens is supposed to be the inspiration behind Disneyland. But life goes on and we still really enjoyed our day sightseeing and wandering around the seaside parks.

The most notable stop of the day was The Little Mermaid Statue. Ok, I cannot begin to explain why this statue of all the gazillion statues around Copenhagen is so famous. Of course it is there in honor of the Hans Christian Anderson story, but seriously, I cannot for the life of me understand why this little statue attracts literally dozens of busloads of picture-snapping tourists. And yet, we were compelled to jump in there with them and snap a few pictures ourselves. I think that right there is the answer to my question. Sheep. All of us. If everyone else is doing it, we certainly can’t miss the opportunity to do it too. So here it is. A Mermaid and a sheep. 





After the mermaid, we walked a couple miles and I lost my mind over the beautiful scenery and photo ops. We found bridges and castles and windmills and forts mixed in with lakes and busy streets and a palace and funky apartment buildings. I took pictures of everything. Here are a few of our favorites. 






No comments: